PEPA-19

30TH ANNIVERSARY CRIME PREVENTION GUIDE 40 Cannabis poisoning Accidentally consuming or consuming too much cannabis at a time can lead to temporary adverse effects, also known as cannabis poisoning. Cannabis poisoning is not generally known to be fatal. It can, however, be very unpleasant and potentially dangerous, sometimes requiring emergency medical attention and, in some cases, hospitalization. Children and pets are at greater risk of cannabis poisoning. Symptoms can include: • chest pain • rapid heartbeat • nausea/vomiting • psychotic episode • respiratory depression • severe anxiety and/or panic attack The higher the THC content in a product, the higher the likelihood of experiencing adverse effects/poisoning, especially if you are a first-time or inexperienced user. It is also easier to be poisoned when ingesting (eating or drinking) cannabis compared to inhaling cannabis (smoking or vaping).This is because some of these products may be confused with similar non-cannabis products. It can also take much longer to feel the effects. The result is that people consume more before they feel the full effects. When eating or drinking cannabis, it can take up to: • 2 hours for you to start to feel the effects • 4 hours for you to feel the full effects • 12 hours for acute effects to subside If you've consumed cannabis and are experiencing particularly unpleasant or harmful effects: • stop using it • seek immediate medical attention or call your local poison control centre Note: If you have consumed cannabis, don't drive.There is no guidance to drivers about: • how much cannabis can be consumed before it is unsafe to drive • how long a driver should wait to drive after consuming cannabis www.canada.ca Store all cannabis products safely, keeping them out of reach of children, youth and pets. This is particularly important for edible cannabis, which may be mistaken for regular food or drinks.

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTM0NTk1OA==