27 CHILD ABUSE AWARENESS Provincial and territorial child protection laws Even if the way you discipline your child is not a crime, it could still be abuse.The provinces and territories also have laws to protect children from abuse. These laws allow the provincial or territorial government to step in when a child needs to be protected from abuse or neglect. What can I do? Every province and territory has a law that says any person who believes a child is being abused must report it. You will not get in trouble for making the report if you have reason to believe a child is being abused, even if it turns out you were wrong. Depending on where you live, this could be your local child protection office or the police. If you have harmed your child, or think you might harm your child, get help. Here are some places you can go for help: • your family doctor or public health nurse; • family resource centres; • local child protection services; • local public health department; • parenting programs; • parenting resources, like booklets; or • organizations that help immigrants and newcomers. See page 61 for contact information for Child Protection Service Offices on Prince Edward Island. (continued) Reproduced from the Department of Justice publication Child Abuse is Wrong: What Can I Do? without affiliation or endorsement of the Government of Canada. Need help but don’t know where to start? 211 can help. It’s free and confidential. CALL: 211 TEXT: 211 SEARCH: EMAIL: